Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Hanging with Dan

Bottom line: You should go to Budapest. Now one of my favorite cities, I had never before experienced a place so beautiful, so full of character, and just so much fun to walk about than the big Buda. And it's a big place for sure. Much like Prague, it is separated by a river: the Danube. It feels like this river has a life of it's own in the city. People treat it like a friend or a lovable uncle. Often times in my 3 days there I just wanted to go "hang out with Dan."

Easily the best time to spend some quality time with Danny is in the evening. We strolled along the river's edge both nights and just took in the spectacle. The parliament building, the castle, and the bridges are lit up like birthday cakes in one of the most beautiful views I've partaken in Europe.

The culture in Budapest was one of my favorite parts of the city. Around every corner were interesting stores to stop and browse through or lively restaurants filled with people and emanating seductive fumes of every different kind of food. Two Budapest traditions that we enjoyed were the thermal baths and a few of the ruin bars. You have to push past the fact that you're basically sharing a bathtub with a hundred other people to enjoy the baths, but it gets a lot easier when your toes first hit the warm, soothing water. The ruin bars are a great time, however, I wish I could have seen them in the daylight so I could look around at all the stuff piled up, hanging from the rafters, and covering the walls.

I hope to return to Budapest someday perhaps for a little longer stay, because this city holds much more to discover than 3 days could allow. Here are some pictures!








No comments:

Post a Comment